Summertime offers a lot of fun opportunities on the Los Angeles Westside, and one undoubtable favorite is the Marina del Rey Free Summer Concert Series. Yep – free! Grab your family, a picnic dinner, and a blanket or low-profile beach chairs and make your way to Burton Chace Park for this popular event series. The 10-acre park is surrounded on three sides by the water, so come early for picture taking and to stroll the perimeter walking path. On alternating Thursdays, enjoy classical and opera performances. On alternating Saturdays, expect a mix of pop music groups, including alt-rock, indie, and folk.
SYMPHONIC THURSDAYS – 7PM
Maestro Frank Fetta conducts the Marina del Rey Symphony:
- July 11: Opera at the Shore. The Marina del Rey Symphony performs alongside staged highlights from Puccini’s La Bohème, followed by a medley of live-to-picture scenes from Lon Chaney’s terrifying 1925 silent film, The Phantom of the Opera, featuring an original score by Craig Safan. RSVP on Eventbrite.
- July 25: Sights, Sounds & Dance in America. The Marina del Rey Symphony collaborates with the Nancy Dobbs Owen Dance Troupe to bring to life the sights, sounds, and movement of American dance with original choreography set to Gershwin’s American in Paris and Craig Safan’s Odessey-inspired Sirens. Plus, the Marina del Rey Symphony performs select works by renowned Mexican composer Juan Pablo Contreras. RSVP on Eventbrite.
- August 8: Kronos Quartet. RSVP on Eventbrite.
- August 22: Cole Porter’s Kiss Me, Kate, a fully staged production. RSVP on Eventbrite. Encore show on Saturday, August 24. RSVP on Eventbrite.
POP SATURDAYS – 7PM
- July 20: Rickie Lee Jones (Rock). RSVP on Eventbrite.
- August 3: Jon Batiste (Jazz). RSVP on Eventbrite.
- August 17: Leela James (R&B). RSVP on Eventbrite.
- August 31: Jenny & The Mexicats (Latin). RSVP on Eventbrite.
Seating is festival style on the park lawn and available on a first come, first served basis. Bring your own blanket or a low-back beach chair. No tents or umbrellas. There is no reserved seating for the public allowed.
Bring your own picnic dinner or grab a bite from gourmet food trucks, which open at 5 p.m. on concert nights.
DO I HAVE TO RSVP ON EVENTBRITE?
Eventbrite tickets are not required for concert admission, and having a ticket does not guarantee entry into the park (the park will close if it reaches capacity). Your RSVP simply helps concert organizers anticipate the crowd size for staffing purposes and to help food truck vendors plan their quantities.
- Picnic dinner – OK
- Low-back beach chairs – OK
- Standard size picnic blanket – OK
- Sunscreen – OK
- Personal camera – small OK, no detachable lens/large zoom
- Dogs – OK on a leash
- Smoking, including e-cigs/vapes
- Medical or recreational use marijuana
- Illegal substances (including narcotics) or drug paraphernalia
- Weapons of any kind
- Aerosol cans or sprays
- Fireworks, sparklers, or incendiary devices
- Tents, canopies, umbrellas of any kind
- Video recording equipment
- Professional still camera equipment (no detachable lenses, tripods, large zoom lenses, and/or commercial-use camera assemblies)
- Audio recording equipment
- Focused-light devices, including laser pointers
- Items intended for sale/promotion
- Any item that can be used as a means to disturb the peace, endanger the safety of the crowd, and/or inflict damage to people and goods
Source & Header Image Courtesy of: visitmarinadelrey.com